This article describes how to implement Exchange 2007 journal reports and how to use Mailspect MPP to archive journal report messages.
Setup Microsoft Exchange 2007 Journal Reports
1) Create a new contact "mppjournal@mpp_host" - remote contact
Open Active Directory Users and Computer (ADUC), right click on your organizational unit, select New -> Contact. Enter First Name: Journal2k7, Last Name: MPP, Display Name: MPP Journal2k7.
Open the Exchange Management Console (EMC), open/expand Recipient Configuration, right click on Mail Contact, and click New Mail Contact -> Existing Contact and select MPP Journal2k7, click Ok and Next. For External e-mail address, click Edit and enter in the text field the remote address "mppjournal@mpp_host", click Ok and Next, then New and Finish.
2) Disable TNEF for contact, to make sure messages are sent in MIME format
Go to Recipient Configuration and select Mail Contact, then select the previously created SMTP contact and click on Properties. In General tab, select "Never" for "Use MAPI rich text format".
3) Enable Journaling
In the Organization Configuration section, select the Hub Transport server role, then New Journal Rule in action pane. Provide a name for Journal rule , hit Browse and choose MPP Journal2k7 contact for e-mail address, check Global - all addresses, check Enable Rule and hit New.
This setup would describe Journaling directly to external SMTP contact. There is also possible to send journal reports to a local journal account which is automatically forwarding messages to external SMTP address
4) Hide Mail Contact
To avoid users sending mails directly to journal account (external SMTP address), the mail contact should be hidden from Exchange address lists. Expand Recipient Configuration, go to Mail Contact and select MPP Journal2k7, right click and select Properties. In General tab, check "Hide from Exchange address lists" and click Ok.
Setup MPP to archive Journal Reports
IMPORTANT: This feature requires MPP 4.9.4 or higher.
For MPP we should setup a new policy, using the mppjournal recipient as member, using no scanning, and archive enabled.
1) Open web browser and point to MPP GUI (http://host:20001).
2) Navigate to Advanced->Policy engine and create new policy ex2k7_journal: enter ex2k7_journal in Policy text box and hit Add Set Assign Policy based on Recipients, change radion button from Default(none) and enter mppjournal@host address in the textbox. Click on Save to save policy membership.
3) Navigate to Services->Archival and make sure Policy is set to ex2k7_journal in the top right corner.
In LOCATION OF EMAIL ARCHIVE select archival method of choice, recommended Archive to MySQL database and check to store message content to file path bellow (MySQL DB/tables and privileges for mpp_archive DB should be created before) In ARCHIVE MESSAGE SETTINGS choose Yes for Archive MS Exchange 2007 Journal Reports. Set Action to Discard and Save.
4) Navigate to Advanced -> Scanners and for Scanners to use choose Select scanners in order of usage .. and make sure no scanner is selected (only 1-st combo should exist with empty scanner).
5) Save and restart.
Sample XML code for group is:
<members_addresslist type="recipient">email@example.com</members_addresslist> <scanner> <scan_engines></scan_engines> </scanner> <archive>mysql://USER:PASS@HOST:mpp_archive#/var/MPP/archive/%RAND256%/%RAND256%/</archive> <archive_preprocessors>msjr2smtp</archive_preprocessors> <on_archive_success>discard</on_archive_success> <strip_body_enabled>no</strip_body_enabled>